We have been using incandescent lights for all these years. Besides that, there were also fluorescent lights and for the last few years CFL lights had stormed the market.
However, nowadays LED lights have appeared in the market that can offer much more bright lights as compared to all the other lights that were present and also taken care of all the drawbacks that were present in those lights.
LED lights are basically a light emitting diode, which is a semiconductor device, where the electric current flows only from anode to cathode and as a result it produces a bright light.
LEDs are pure color and can produce green, red or any other color, which will be the only color produced by them and no filter is used. In fact, the material chosen will decide the color.
Chronology of LED technology
- 1907 – Discovered by Henry Joseph Round about physical effects of electro-luminescence;
- 1962 – Red luminescent diode launched in the market and the birth of industrially produced LED
- 1970’s – LEDs are made available in colors like green, yellow and orange
- 1980’s – early 1990’s – LEDs of high performance in red/orange/yellow/green color is available
- 1995 – First LED white light with luminescence conversion was launched
- 1997 – White LEDs become available commercially
Following are few features of LED lights:
- There is immediate power consumption reduction and as a result your utility bill can reduce drastically.
- It can be easily dimmed by using occupancy or daylight sensors and as a result further energy savings
- LEDs can reduce cooling loads, because light projected from these LEDs can produce no heat
- LEDs can be turned on instantly and you will not find any flickering or buzzing noise
- Almost 25% of US consumers of electricity use LED for lighting, that accounts for 10% of carbon dioxide emission of total USA
- LED lights are non-toxic and it contains no lead, mercury or cadmium, and also can be recycled.
- LED does not create any light pollution
Maintenance and safety
- Its life can be from 50,000 hours to 100,000 hours
- Cost of recycling required for disposing hazardous bulbs/ballast is reduced
- No need of changing the ballast
- There are no breakable glass/filaments and can be highly resistant to any shock and vibration
- Much better color rendering meant for security cameras as compared to traditional low-pressure sodium lightings.
Why should people prefer LED?
As mentioned before, there did already were too many other options for lighting, but now people are going for LED lighting due to following few reasons:
- Better color quality
- Better light output
- Better light distribution
- You can expect no replacement for next 3 years
- Much better performance
- No flickering or noise
- No heat generation
After the LED lights stormed into the market, the demand for other lighting sectors is diminishing rapidly. Though they are available at much reduced prices but in the longer run, they can be much more expensive.
Therefore, till any other new technology breakthrough is achieved, the LED lights will be ruling the market and other lighting systems will soon lose their business.